Saturday, March 22, 2014

More sleep, please !


Have you ever felt so tired that you could fall asleep anywhere but got to bed and suddenly became the most hyper-active person ever? I have been feeling that way for a while. I am waking up early every day to get to university and every night, I feel extremely tired… but, as soon as I get into bed, I remember tasks I have to do or get ideas for the blog or feel that the room is really messy and needs to be organized… and therefore, I end up doing everything I have to do at 11 in the evening… not really a good idea when you have a long week ahead of you.

I can’t handle this insomnia anymore and my body is asking each and every day for additional sleep hours. That’s why, most of the days, I get back from university, have lunch and take a nap. A nap is very efficient way to take some energy when needed but it definitely isn’t a long-term solution… So, I decided to search for some tips to help me sleep better and get my internal clock to work properly… Here are the sleep resolutions that I’ve taken according to what I have found… (I thought that I would share them with you)

1-      Creating a pre-sleep routine

Creating a pre-sleep routine can help establish a direct link between certain activities and sleep. For example, if you like to read before going to sleep, your body will be able to know that reading at night = sleep time is near. Therefore, your body will be able to relax and prepare to “shut down”.

 

2-      Creating the proper ambiance

In order to help the body get ready to sleep, you must establish the proper environment (dark room – no bright lights that keep your brain active- , adequate temperature –not too cold, not too hot-, calm atmosphere – no noise -).

 

3-      Cleaning up your space

A messy room, a pile of clothes to iron, an unfinished homework can all cause stress that will consequently keep you worrying and prevent you from sleeping. That’s why it is better to make a list, in the morning, of all the things that need to be done during the day and to gradually check them off that list. With your tasks behind you, your mind will have no excuse to keep thinking and will rest sooner than usual.

 

4-      Staying away from large meals

This one is a total classic. Everybody has heard it at least once in their lifetime. But, being Lebanese, we can’t help but break this golden rule. We like to eat and drink till late hours of the night, especially on weekends. My advice for you would be to avoid eating large and heavy meals and to favor lighter ones. Most importantly, try to stop eating and drinking at least 2 hours before you go to bed. That will spare you night trips to the bathroom and will help you sleep better.

 

5-      Ban Blue lights

Insomnia feeds on the minor details of modern life, like the soft blue glow from a cell phone, PDA, or digital clock resting on your bedside table. The short waves of blue light may interfere with sleep.” To improve your sleep, turn off all electronic gadgets in the bedroom.

 

I hope that those tips will help you sleep better… I will try them starting tonight…

Take care my precious readers and sleep tight

 
 
 

P.S: for more tips about how to sleep better, you can check those three sources that I used for my blogpost:

-  http://psychcentral.com/lib/12-ways-to-shut-off-your-brain-before-bedtime/0006577

- http://www.sleepybed.com/sleeping-tips/25-tips-for-a-better-pre-sleep-ritual/

- http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-benefits-10/slideshow-sleep-tips

 

-Xoxo,

 

T

No comments:

Post a Comment