Saturday, April 5, 2014

Feminist-at-heart: Chantalle Azzi, couture designer


I have been a feminist my whole life. As a woman, I have always wanted to be independent, especially from men, and to be successful and happy on my own. One day, I may consider changing my lifestyle. But for now, I am sticking to who I am. That’s why I went to meet some other women who, like me, struggle to achieve their dreams and to be on their own in this male-dominated society.

Every once in a while, I will try to bring you, readers, the profile of a women activist/writer/stylist/nutritionist etc. who was brave enough to go after her dreams and to realize her vision in a country where she barely has some rights, where she can be beaten to death with no law to protect her, where she can give birth to many children without being able to give them her own nationality.

 

Chantalle Azzi – Owner of “Chantalle Azzi Haute Couture” and “The Little Designer”
 

When I decided to work on this post, I thought that I wanted to meet women who live in my local community and who make a difference in my region. I didn’t want to go down to the capital city, where it’s more likely to find a woman who has her own shop of handmade bags, shoes, or clothes. I wanted to portray the women next door, the lady from the small Man’ouché shop, the girl behind the new concept store, the teacher who works at the public school, etc. and so, I did. I went and met all these beautiful, charming, warrior women who, on a daily basis, get closer and closer to becoming the next “women entrepreneur”.

Today, I bring you the story of a very talented couture designer named Chantalle Azzi who was “stubborn” enough to go after her dreams and to launch her own fashion line at a very young age (She is just 20-years-old!).

As her mother and brother told me when I sat down with them, Chantalle has loved arts since she was a teenager. In grade 8, during math hours, she used to scratch some designs on her notebooks. Seeing that, her mother encouraged her and made her take painting and private fashion design lessons every day of the week during her last 3 years at school. When she graduated, Chantalle chose fashion design as a major and was accepted in a Parisian university to pursue her career.

Almost a year ago, she came back to Lebanon and she recently opened her own shops: “Chantalle Azzi Couture Designer” and “The Little Designer”. Two different shops, two different concepts. The first one carries her name and is mainly the “fashion atelier” where she unleashes her imagination and creates on-demand evening gowns. The second one is totally different. It’s home for her own casual designs and for other designers’ collections as well. “I introduced a new concept when I opened “The Little Designer” shop”, she says. “People are usually used to customizing their eveningwear, but not the outfits they wear on a daily basis. What makes my shop different is that customers come in during the week and ask me to customize the outfits they’re going to wear on the weekend”.

When asked about what her future plans for the brands are, Chantalle said: “I want to have a boutique in every region of Lebanon. More importantly, I always dream of having a charity work where I can join power with other local Lebanese designers to do something good for our community, something good in a fashionable way”.

 

Well, I wish you the best of luck Ms. Azzi and I hope that you will spread your beautiful spirit wherever you can!

 

That’s it for today, my dear readers. Stay tuned for more “feminist-at-heart” profiles.
-Xoxo,
Tala

No comments:

Post a Comment